I first encountered these pies when I spent 3 months in New York reviewing a collection of their top dessert restaurants. After seeing (and eating) cream pie after cream pie, it only felt right to have a go at the recipe myself.
And it has become a welcome addition in my household…
Now the following version of this pie is sure to satisfy the chocoholics amongst you, as it has got the right balance of not being too rich, but having enough flavour that you savour every mouthful.
|Chocolate Cream Pie|
- 168g White sugar
- 41g All-purpose flour
- 500ml Milk (Now the type of chocolate you use is up to you. Generally this recipe works best with dark chocolate, but if you are not a fan of rich flavours, you can try using milk chocolate or a bit of both.)
- 28g Unsweetened chocolate
- 3 Egg yolks
- 2tbsp Butter
- 1tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 (9 inch) pie shell, baked
- This recipe does cheat a little with you buying a pre-made pie shell, but I think you’re allowed given that you’ll be making the chocolaty centre from scratch.
- To make, you will first need to combine your sugar, flour, milk and chopped chocolate in a saucepan and cook until your chocolate has melted and your sauce is bubbling. Continue stirring for 2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl take your eggs yolks and a little of this hot sauce and beat rapidly. It is important that you do this quick as you don’t want your egg yolks cooking in the heat of the mixture.
- Add your yolk mixture to the rest of your chocolate sauce and continue cooking for a minute and a half.
- Remove this from heat, and stir in your butter and vanilla extract.
- Pour this chocolaty sauce into your pie shell and leave to set.
- For a finishing touch you can add whipped cream or a little grated chocolate (white, milk or dark it doesn’t matter)